Monday, June 2, 2014

And Today Makes One Month

Originally posted June 2011
I know, I know…it has been too long since I have updated.  We have had to jump a bit back into life and that has really been something.  Not to mention that I have roughly 90% less computer time than I had before. :-)
But today is a good day for an update because Christian has officially been part of our family for a month!
You can't so no to that smile!
Each day brings more knowing.  More knowing how he ticks, what he likes and doesn’t like, more of him knowing how life rolls in the Kopplin house.  We’ve got our routine fairly down.  Mornings are mom time.  We wake, we snuggle, we get ready for the day, we get the girls up, and play and eat.  Yep, that’s some pretty awesome time!  Then he gets VERY excited when dad comes home and part of the afternoon is mostly dad time while I work.  In the evening, we visit the prayer room for a short bit before bed.
I wish I could say every day is that smooth and lovely, but some are tougher than others.  Teething, too many changes, bad dreams, and sometimes just looking at me and wondering where his first mama is can add challenges to our day.  The tough days come and go and overall we see him relaxing into the rhythm of our family.  (The new rhythm which is a bit slower than before, I might add.)
I walked in the door a few days ago to be greeted by a pointing finger and the very clear word “mama”.  There was no doubt he meant me that time.  Yep, that feels good.  He’s starting to look to us when he bumps his head, he’s learning to stay out of the duck coop and the dog’s water.  The other morning he heard a loud noise outside and ran to the comfort of my arms.  That may not sound like much to you, but let me tell you with an adopted toddler who has experienced as much tearing
apart of his world as he has, it is HUGE!
With all of that, we are tired.  Wiped out really.  Just keeping the family fed and the house cleaned is a much larger challenge than before.  Keeping up with work and email seems impossible.  We miss our friends and find running errands very trying.
The end result?  I am fully reliant on God for my daily strength.  I don’t have what it takes to walk this out on my own.  I don’t have time to do everything I did before so I do what is needed.  I prioritize, I ask the Holy Spirit what is most important in the hour I have when he is sleeping.  Sometimes it is work or email or laying on the couch with one of the girls.  (The latter being my favorite, of course.)
Even with the hard times, this boy has my heart.  I love his hugs, his smile, his sweet voice as he coaxes me to sing his favorite “Jesus Loves the Little Children” before bed.  I love his belly laugh, wiping his tears, watching my girls give him a bath, and seeing him explore the world.  Thank You, Father for this amazing gift you put into my family.  Thank You for the grace, strength, peace, and wisdom to raise Him.
I love you, Christian, my son!
Playing with Isobel and Scooter
After nap snuggles with Jessica
Meeting the goats at Deanna Rose Farm
Feeding a goat...lasted about 1/2 a second.

No comments:

Post a Comment